Confessions of a 30 year old

girlfriend

So I have been watching the first season of Girlfriends. I loved this show back in the day. However, I was only fourteen and had no clue about the issues this show discussed. Now being a sexy thirty, I see, Joan was a dumb ass. From the beginning and til’ the freaking end. Her obsession with trying to control every aspect of her life was exhausting.

anigif_enhanced-32605-1409251137-13

It got me to thinking,  am I like that? Do I want everything to go my way and if it does not I chalk it up as a “not meant to be” rather than, having patience? My thirties years on earth will be coming to an end in less than three months. I will be, God willing, officially in my thirties. Granted I have definitely put a dent into owning my purpose but I have to admit I still have a lot of work to complete.

If memory serves me correct, Joan at one point lost it all. The man, friends, and career. I never want to be in the predicament. Looking at this show now I see why it wasn’t always showing black women in the best light. I guess that’s why I have a problem with Being Mary Jane. How come black successful women can not be portrayed in loving marriages? Or even a healthy relationship? Do society only see us as women that sleep with married men, beg for someone to love us or some settling bitches that can barely keep a man?

black girl

Listen my motto is honesty is the best policy. Speaking and living in my truth every day makes me the strong women that wake up in the morning. Skeletons in the closet? You better believe it!! The only difference between TSJ five years ago and TSJ today, she would have been ashamed to admit them back then. No, I’m not perfect and never strive to be either. TSJ is just a too loud mouth, lovable, extra, and passionate black girl from the hood. Never allowed my surrounding nor circumstances dictate my future.

beyonce

7 Comments

1. Toni
    July 16, 2017 / 10:05 pm

Yes, Joan definitely had issues. But girl who is Ava, Misty and Janelle?

• sincerelyurstsj
      July 16, 2017 / 10:11 pm

Ava DuVernay is a director/writer best known for Selma, Misty Copeland ballet dancer, and Janelle Monae’ is a singer/actress

• Toni
        July 18, 2017 / 12:59 pm

Oh I know Janelle. I guess she can be identified with one name

2. July 17, 2017 / 10:56 pm

Great post. Very true. For ratings, television only portrays what sells and not the real positive images that growing adults need to see. As a 30-something year old woman, I now can not STAND Joan. I watch repeats and want to slap the nonsense out of her. How many of our friends are a Joan? Maya? Toni? Or Lynn? Lol

• sincerelyurstsj
      July 17, 2017 / 11:52 pm

Thank for your comment love. You feel my pain!! Lol! Joan was a hot mess. I definitely a couple of Joan’s, Lynn, & Toni in my life…I’m probably Maya.

3. July 18, 2017 / 2:31 am

Interesting! I loved Girlfriends and Joan definitely was a hot mess! LOL…. Its crazy but I was dealing with that this week, am I too controlling. Struggling between being honest with myself and what I want, or is that simply wanting too much too soon, and being too aggressive. Girl, these 30s aint no joke! LOL

• sincerelyurstsj
      July 18, 2017 / 11:58 am

Listen being 30 is definitely an emotional roller coaster. I’m so glad to know I’m not alone. Lol